Head Of Product Sustainability
Since 1906, New Balance has empowered people through sport and craftsmanship to create positive change in communities around the world. We innovate fearlessly, guided by our core values and driven by the belief that conventions were meant to be challenged. We foster a culture in which every associate feels welcomed and respected, where leaders and creatives are inspired to shape the world of tomorrow by taking bold action today. At New Balance, We Got Now.
As Head Of Product Sustainability, you will be responsible for leading end to end product sustainability strategic direction & entrench functional follow through within the Product Creation Team. This includes defining and implementing a formalized long term product sustainability roadmap, setting priority focus areas, long term scenario planning, and identifying necessary innovation focus areas. You will facilitate strong cross functional leadership across Product, Value Chain, and Responsible Leadership to gain alignment against strategic direction and associated responsibilities. You will lead a team focused on scaling ingredients and processes that advance our product sustainability goals throughout our creation teams, including guideline creation, seasonal engagement process, product category level goal setting. This role is based at New Balance Headquarters in the Boston area.
- Lead and manage the Product Sustainability team.
- Drive partnership with Responsible Leadership on our product sustainability goals, Product’s role in brand wide sustainability goals, internal sustainability communication, and collaborating on NB’s annual sustainability and impact reporting.
- Create cross functional leadership forums to align on product sustainability initiatives across Sourcing, Responsible Leadership, Materials, Product Development, Design, and Innovation.
- Deliver clear, cross functionally aligned, data-driven product sustainability strategies inclusive of environmentally preferred material roadmaps
- Lead the partnership with our data teams, ensuring our product, ingredient, and process attributes can be tracked, measured, communicated, and predicted.
- Liaise with our inline product creation and value chain teams, building tools and training to fully integrate product sustainability priorities (EPMs, dematerialization, material efficiency, circular design) within the product creation process and Go-To-Market milestones.
- Collaborate with keys teams like Innovation, Sourcing, Marketing & Legal to drive cross functional product sustainability projects and initiatives, gaining executive level buy in
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- Strong project management skills, leading cross functional initiatives, building repeatable processes to New Balance's seasonal integration approach.
- Translating strategic direction to specific actionable projects and seeing through to completion.
- Broad knowledge that slices across sustainability, environmental science, product development process, communication, sourcing
- Deep understanding of the levers at the industry and company’s disposal to affect our decarbonization & product sustainability roadmap
- Ability to contextualize the product sustainability challenge within diverse business priorities, strategically navigating where, when, and why we lean into a given sustainability initiative
- Strong interpersonal and influence skills with the ability to lean on strong relationships to catalyze progress
- Natural inclination to drive collaboration across all functions and levels
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including managing both direct and decentralized teams
Regular Associate Benefits
Our products are only as good as the people we hire, so we make sure to hire the best and treat them accordingly. New Balance offers a comprehensive traditional benefits package including three options for medical insurance as well as dental, vision, life insurance and 401K. We also proudly offer a slate of more nontraditional perks – opportunities like online learning and development courses, tuition reimbursement, $100 monthly student loan support and various mentorship programs – that encourage our associates to grow personally as they develop professionally. You’ll also enjoy a yearly $1,000 lifestyle reimbursement, 4 weeks of vacations, 12 holidays and generous parental leave, because work-life balance is more than just a buzzword – it’s part of our culture.
Temporary associates are provided three options for medical insurance as well as dental and vision insurance and an associate discount.
Part time associates are provided 401k, short term disability, a yearly $300 lifestyle reimbursement and an associate discount.
Flexible Work Schedule
For decades we have fostered a unique culture founded on our values with a particular focus on in-person teamwork and collaboration. Our North American hybrid model encourages rich in-person experiences, showcasing our commitment to teamwork and connection, while maintaining flexibility for associates. New Balance Associates currently work in office three days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). Our offices are fully open, and amenities are available across our North American office locations. To continue our focus on hybrid work we have introduced “Work from Anywhere” (WFA) for four weeks per calendar year. This model will help us enhance our culture while continuing to maintain elements of flexibility.
Equal Opportunity Employer
New Balance provides equal opportunities for all current and prospective associates and takes affirmative action to ensure that employment, training, compensation, transfer, promotion and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment are provided without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, handicap, genetic information and/or status as an Armed Forces service medal veteran, recently separated veteran, qualified disabled veteran or other protected veteran.