Senior Director, Climate & Environment
who we are:
lululemon is an innovative performance apparel company for yoga, running, training, and other athletic pursuits. Setting the bar in technical fabrics and functional design, we create transformational products and experiences that support people in moving, growing, connecting, and being well. We owe our success to our innovative product, emphasis on stores, commitment to our people, and the incredible connections we make in every community we're in. As a company, we focus on creating positive change to build a healthier, thriving future. In particular, that includes creating an equitable, inclusive and growth-focused environment for our people.
about this team:
This role is part of the Sustainable Business & Impact team, which shapes the future of impact within our brand and business. This work doesn’t just live in one function; social and environmental impact at lululemon are integrated in everything we do. The team leads and integrates our vision and initiatives across the company to create value for our brand, our collective (guests, employees, makers, ambassadors), and society. The result is an innovative, purpose-driven brand creating a future that we want to live in. As our Senior Director, Climate & Environment, in the Sustainable Business & Impact team, you will lead strategy development and execution for climate, circularity, nature, and other environmental factors. In this role you will build our brand credibility and business continuity.
a day in the life: what you’ll do:
Reporting to the SVP, Sustainable Business and Impact, you will lead the Climate and Environment function. This role is responsible for designing climate and environmental strategy and partnering cross-functionally to drive enterprise integration. Key responsibilities include:
Develop enterprise strategy and goals, including on key environmental areas including climate, waste, and circularity in alignment with our business growth, Impact Agenda, and industry partnerships
- Develop new programs (e.g. climate justice, nature and biodiversity, water)
- Oversee key integrated programs e.g. Virtual Power Purchase Agreements, Energy Management Systems, and retail waste and energy
- Design and deliver lululemon’s science-based net zero ambitions including 2030 and 2025 targets, and publish high-level decarbonization roadmap in accordance with UNFCCC
- Deliver internal multi-year decarbonization roadmap working across the enterprise – supporting a pathway to reach goals and to drive decision making for key leaders and executives
- Lead exploration of financial pathways and resource planning in partnership with Finance
- Support education and engagement through content and approaches, empowering leaders and teams to understand and act on sustainability
- Advise and engage with leaders across the company as a go-to resource for environmental sustainability trends, innovation and thought partnership
- Lead regional sustainability strategy and teams, developing roadmaps, playbooks and education for regionally and globally relevant and impactful delivery
- Oversee in-function data and analytics, providing content, information and substantiate facts for ESG, including performance reporting, public reporting, investors and other stakeholders
- Oversee development of climate models and scenario analysis tools to support understanding of potential pathways to net zero and other environmental goals
- Lead Climate Change Steering Committee to drive cross-functional accountabilities, strategy creation, and decision making
- Support response, action plan, and execution for high profile crisis management
- Build and manage relationships with critical external stakeholders to advance impact and manage issues, as appropriate.
- Engage with external stakeholders and partners and represent the work to key audiences.
- Mentor, manage and build an engaged and high performing global team of skilled professionals, including direct and indirect reports.
- Facilitate annual and quarterly planning across teams, lead the development of annual and quarterly operating plans to execute on our strategy, including oversight of departmental budgets and reporting.
- Advanced degree in business, sustainability, science, law, supply chain, risk management and/or
- related fields. Sustainability and responsibility management certifications are beneficial
- 15-20 years of related professional experience with a significant team and budget at a global matrixed publicly traded brand and/or retailer
- 10-15+ years of related work experience in environmental and social sustainability, supply chain, risk management, management systems, business resilience, standards and regulatory compliance, partnerships – including demonstrated experience in building and managing responsibility and sustainability systems and processes
- Experience in strategy development
- 10+ years of experience leading teams
- Demonstrated trust, partnership, change management and stakeholder engagement internally and externally
- Exceptional interpersonal, particularly ability to influence others
- Demonstrated leadership to accelerate implementation of strategies and programs to achieve company goals
- Highly organized, strong negotiation skills, as well as systemic and technical problem solving skills
- Must be a team player able to comfortably and effectively work within matrixed organizations
- Maintain an external and internal facing mindset, including staying on top of changing landscapes
- Acknowledge the presence of choice in every moment and take personal responsibility for your life.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- Communicate with honesty and kindness and create the space for others to do the same.
- Lead with courage, knowing the possibility of greatness is bigger than the fear of failure.
- Foster connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
- Integrate fun and joy as a way of being and working, aka doesn’t take yourself too seriously.